HOW TO REGISTER A DOMAIN NAME
Special rules apply to .gov.ng and state government TLDs
Register a government or education domain name(s)
Please see the table below:
|.gov.ng||Requires a letter of authorization from the head of the Nigerian institution applying for the domain name. Read more|
|.net.ng||For Nigerian Internet Service / Telecoms Providers’ infrastructure only.|
|.edu.ng||For Nigerian universities only. Requires a copy of the Certification document OR Accreditation certificate to operate as a tertiary institution as issued by either the National University Commission, or the Federal Ministry of Education.|
|.sch.ng||Nigerian non-degree issuing academic institutions only. Documentation required|
Register a state or local government domain name
Please see the table below:
Domain Name Registration ProcessAny entity or establishment wishing to register a domain under the .gov.ng ccTLD should take the following steps:
- Determine if entity or establishment is qualified to receive a domain name under GOV.NG by reviewing the eligibility requirements.
- Review the domain naming conventions and ensure that the desired domain name complies with the conventions.
- Check availability for the desired domain name.
- Register the Domain Name request using Online Registration Service.
- Submit an Authorization Letter at the earliest but not later than 30 days after completing the online registration. Otherwise, the request will stand cancelled and the domain name shall be released to any other organization that meets the eligibility requirement
- Once the above stated Registration process is completed, the Domain Manager will process the request accordingly. The Registrar will contact you if any additional information about the registration is required, prior to activation. If the registration is in order, the domain name will be placed on Active Status and the same will be notified via email.
Click here: to see a sample letter
More About Domain Names
A domain name is the foundation of any great website. It’s more than just your address on the Web, it’s also your online brand, which is why choosing the right domain name is so important. You want something that’s unique, but still reflects your personality. Thankfully, with several top-level and country-code domain names to choose from, your options are virtually limitless.
.COM is, far and away, the most popular domain name extension in the world. It’s the natural first choice when you’re launching your own online presence, but it’s far from the only option, especially depending on the type of site you’re creating. Charities and other non-profits tend to choose .ORG for their domain names. While it’s not as well known as .COM, .ORG was one of the original domain extensions on the Web and, being short for “organization,” it’s developed a reputation for being trustworthy. Other top-level domain extensions are even more specialized, to the point of being restricted to the average consumer, such as .EDU (education), .GOV (government) and .MIL (military).
Another option for domain names is country-code TLDs. Some of these are obvious, such as .COM.NG for Nigeria or .CO.UK for the United Kingdom, while others have found a niche market of their own. .TV is the official domain extension for the island of Tuvalu, but thanks to its memorable abbreviation, it’s become popular with video hosting sites across the Web. And of course, there are domain extensions that were created for specific purposes, such as .BIZ for business, .MOBI for mobile and .JOBS for employment information.
Whatever you want to do with your domain — register it, promote it or sell it — Nigerian Webhosts can help.
Register a domain name now: Click here